Silver With A Lilac Wash Tutorial

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Products Used:




1: Barry M Eye and Lip Pencil in '#5'
2: Rimmel Lipstick in 'Nude Pink'
3: No17 Mono Shadow in 'Spirit'. This is still available from Boots :)
4: No17 Mono Shadow in 'Lavender'. I bought this a long time ago and since then it has been discontinued but I am sure No17 still make a good substitute. Any Lilac shadow will do if you don't have this one.
5: MAC Mono Shadow in 'Beauty Marked'
6: Rimmel Lash XXX Mascara in Non-Waterproof

Brushes Used:



1: Ruby and Millie Slanted Liner Brush (£5 from Boots)
2: MAC 239 Eye Shadow Brush
3: MAC 213 Fluff Brush
4: Barry M 3 in 1 Powder/Blusher/Bronzer brush


Both shadows used in this tutorial are from the No17 mono shadow range. These are really well pigmented for the price. They blend VERY well and are much better than the No17 loose eye dusts in my opinion. My 'Spirit' shadow looks slightly destroyed (I had a bit of an accident with it when I dipped my brush in when my brush was soaking wet rather than damp! I'm silly, I know) but honestly, it still works fine.


Lavender




Spirit




Tutorial



Step One: Base

Begin by applying a base of your choice. This helps both the colour of the shadow to show better and the shadow to last longer. In this instance I have used Barry M #5 Eye and Lip Shimmer Pencil. Remember to smooth out your base with your finger (particularly if you use a cream base) because otherwise you may see uneven lumps and your shadow may not go on as well.





Step Two: Silver

Pat the silver onto the entire lid and blend into your base using an eye shadow brush. I have used my MAC 239 in the direction shown in the photo below.






Step Three: Lilac


Work the lilac into the crease. I used my MAC 213 fluff brush. I have demonstrated where to position the brush in the photo below:



Then take a fluff brush and work the lilac into the outer one third of the lid:



The result should look something like this:





Step Four: Beauty Marked


Okay so with all of these light colours on your lids you may find your eyes appear a little 'flat' so to add some depth take your eye shadow brush and literally dab it ONCE into the Beauty Marked shadow (or any grey/black shadow you have). Don't pick up too much because this is intended as a day look and adding too much dark colour will turn it into a night time smokey eye.






Step Five: More Lilac

Go over the black with some more of the lilac shadow. Work into the crease and over the outer one third of the lid. This is to insure your lilac has depth but isn't too dark:





Step Six: Line Up

Because you are using shadow for this next step you will first need to line the area with a base of some sort. (Otherwise the shadow will fade quickly and the colour won't appear as strong.) I just sweeped my slanted eyeliner brush against my Barry M Eye/Lip #5 base pencil to pick up the product and lined the outer half of my upper lash line and just past it with my shadow. I do it this way because the tip of my pencil is chunky and using the pencil alone to line my lash line creates a very thick line and I wanted a thinner one.

Using a slanted liner brush work some of the Beauty Marked shadow into the outer half of the upper lash line. Don't go all the way in. Just stick to the outer half. Begin by patting the shadow along the line (so it sticks into your base and so it shows better) and then smooth it out by sweeping the brush over the lash line.




Step Seven: Tick Me Off


To add some flare to this look add a thin tick of black shadow.

Start from the end of the line you made on your upper lash line and keep your eye closed as you draw your 'tick' to insure the line is evenly joined up and that the tick looks properly 'connected' to the upper lash line. (Ie: To stop it looking like it's flying 'off' your lid) Fill in any gaps by patting the shadow into the lash line.

A thinner tick looks best with this look. I also added some of the Beauty Marked shadow to the outer half of my lower lashes:




Step Eight: Complete Me


Complete the look by lining your waterlines with a black eyeliner pencil and then apply 2 coats of any mascara of your choice to your upper lashes. I used my Rimmel Lash XXX mascara and my No17 black eyeliner pencil in 'Onyx'.

For your lips I would recommend a light frosty pink or peach colour to go with these colour shadows. I used my Rimmel lipstick in 'Nude Pink'.



Finally, dust some translucent powder over the face to finish. I used my Collection 2000 powder in Translucent.




Final Look: