Green Smokey Eye With Black

Tuesday, August 19, 2008
First let me start by saying I LOVE MeMeMe eye shadows. They last SO long. Seriously. I have worn them out on a night out and they stay really vibrant! (Providing you use a good base of course ;) ) You can buy them at Superdrug or on Ebay. Superdrug always have sales and currently they have a few MeMeMe products at half price so check that out :) Tip: They are especially vibrant when using a foundation or creme shadow base.

Natural Collection are getting harder and harder to find so just use any pink lipstick with a frosty/pearl finish. Revlon's 'Silver City Pink' has a pearl finish and slight peach undertone and would go really well with a clear gloss over the top. I don't have it yet so I can't show you it or comment on the quality but I have seen the colour of it and I am planning on buying it in future.

Anyway, this is a smokey green eye with a hint of black. For all those who find brown/black smokey eyes too dark/overbearing. If you don't like or suit greens, don't worry, I'll have a smokey eye for most colours coming up :) I am very reluctant to say any look I do is for a particular eye colour because I don't believe all that crap about only ever matching shadows to specific eye colours. I think matching a shadow to your skin tone as well as your eye colour is more important than matching it to your eye colour alone.


Alright, onward with the tutorial!

NOTE: I used No7 'Pink Shimmer' Blusher on my cheeks. I was a noob and forgot to include it in my 'Face' photo. D'oh :( Also I labelled the MAC shadow as 'Velvet' and I should have labelled it as 'Beauty Marked'. My bad, the writing has faded a little on the back so I didn't notice it until later.


Products On...



Face:





Eyes:





Lips:







Tools used for...


Eyes:





Face:





Tutorial




Apply a base to the lids first of all. I used Barry M #5 Eye/Lip pencil. This will insure your shadow stays on longer and that the colour stays vibrant. Then apply the lighter green in the MeMeMe Green Goddess duo to the entire lid using a patting motion with your brush. I used the MAC 239 to apply mine.





Take some of the darker green in the duo on a fluffy eye shadow brush and blend into the crease line and outer one third of the lid. Feel free to 'top up' the lighter green on the inner portion of your lid if it has faded with all the blending.




To smoke out the green, I added MAC 'Beauty Marked/Velvet' to my crease and blended it well with the green. (Any black eye shadow will do though.) I applied more of the darker green from the Goddess duo on top of the Velvet shadow to soften it out and lighten it a little. Remember, as always, less is more so don't put too much on all at once. Add your black shadow bit by bit to avoid having to take all your shadow off and start again.




Complete the look by applying No17 'Oynx' to both waterlines. (I realise my eyeliner in this photo looks a teensy bit dodgy but that is because I removed my previous makeup to do this tutorial and my waterline still had some baby oil around it which made my liner smudge a little) To find your waterlines, gently pull your upper/lower lash line up/down and you will see a line of fleshy pink skin. Those are your waterlines and that is where you apply your pencil eyeliner. (DON'T apply liquid liner to the waterline because they're too wet for liquid liner and it definitely won't stick!) Add two coats Rimmel Extra Super Lash mascara or any voluminous mascara you have. (Allow the first coat to dry before applying second and wiggle your brush to prevent clumps) You can stop here or go to the next step to add an extra 'kick' to the look.





To add an extra 'kick' to this look line the inner portion of your lower lash line (about one third of the way in)with the lighter green shadow from the Goddess duo and then apply the darker green from the middle part of your lower lash line all the way to the outer corner. I used a slanted Ruby and Millie liner brush to do this and I patted the shadow on with my brush before blending it out.




Full Look:

I finished the look off by sweeping No7 Pink Shimmer blusher over the apples of my cheeks. Then I applied my #5 Barry M Eye/Lip pencil to my lips and blended it out. This creates a base for my lipstick to stick to. Then I added a coat of Natural Collection 'Candy Mist' lipstick for a cute pink tone and a coat of No7 'Angel Cake' lip gloss over the top to add a shiny finish.