Mascara Application and Reviews

Monday, June 30, 2008
I dedicate this entry to my smoking hot and very lovely friend of mine- Lynnea.


Mascara Reviews (I'm going to use these in my future tutorials so you can see the results :)) Please forgive the presence of desk objects in some of the photos. I took these very late and night and I was too tired to edit them before uploading them. You can see the product in them anyway and that is what matters.

Barry M - Volumising, Lengthening and Curling Mascara. Can be purchased from http://www.barrym.com for £5.95 (approximately $11)













I love the texture and feel of this mascara. It has a very soft feel to it and it doesn't clump. There is a little scent but it is far from bothersome. The brush is different as it has tiny little bristles that stick out from all angles and go around the entire wand. This means it's especially easy to curl your lashes with it because you can basically place the wand at the base of your lashes and twist it against them and voila. Awesomely curled lashes. It can also be used to volumise as it is easily buildable.


Image Mascara £1 from my local Wilkinsons















Now I realise most people outside the UK won't have a Wilkinsons but I am doing the whole cheap mascara thing for a reason here. After using this particular mascara for a couple of months now I can honestly say my first review on it on my regular blog was right. I said that the texture was a little thin but soft and the wand was relatively thick and it didn't clump. It still doesn't clump and the product feels fresh even after the 6th or 7th time using it. Don't be afraid of buying cheaper mascara. A lot of more expensive mascaras are in some cases better but that doesn't mean the cheaper ones are no good at all. In fact this one is perfect for a natural daytime look. Not good for a night out because it didn't strike me as buildable but if you're looking to just swoop something on and go then try out something like this. It says it is volumising and it is to an extent but it's not dramatic enough for me personally. If you like your make up less dramatic then this would work for you.



Collection 2000 Maxi Curl Mascara approximately £3

















Well it does what it says on the packaging. It gives me a wonderful curl in all honesty but not so good for a night out because it isn't very volumising. The brush tip is curved to help you get those very curled lashes and there is no scent or stickiness. A good priced mascara if you like your lashes curled and pretty. I love it.



Rimmel LashMAXXX Volumising Mascara (Non Waterproof but it does come in Waterproof) I got mine on offer for £5 from Superdrug but I believe it costs about £7 tops. You can buy it online almost anywhere but I would advise you to try Ebay because you'll likely find it much cheaper there :)
















I LOVE THIS MASCARA!!! Fuck me it's effing awesome. Buildable and it gives you long spidery lashes like you wouldn't believe. (I'll do a tutorial using this to show you in the near future) It has a tiny comb on the end of the wand which seperates your lashes and gets rid of clumps. It isn't a curling mascara, it's more for that false lash effect. The texture is soft and there's no scent. I'd definitely buy this again, I love it.


One more thing - I've heard good reviews about Covergirl Lash Blast but I've never been able to find it here in the UK. Apparently it's fabulous but obviously that's from what I have heard and not my own experience. But I thought this might be useful for all the people outside of the UK :)

How to apply mascara

Start at the base of your lash and wiggle your brush (back and forth) upwards. (Note: wiggling your HEAD won't do anything to your mascara! Wiggle the BRUSH using your HAND. Sorry. I get peeved about people who do that...) Usually what I then do is apply long strokes upwards until my lashes are as long or thick appearing as I want. Wiggling your brush will only sort out clumps and it won't give your lashes length or curl them so it is best not to overdo that part of the application process. Tilt your head but not too far back. Going too far back will make you catch your wand with your eyelids because the more you go back the more the space between your lashes and lids closes. Tilt it a little and go slowly. If you make a mistake try to get a cotton bud on it right away. Some people might tell you to let it dry and it'll just crack off but personally if you press the cotton bud into the damp mascara it will absorb it and take most of it, if not all of it off right away and it saves you carrying a black smudge on your eye that you might forget about whilst waiting for it to dry. You can also look down whilst applying your mascara but I personally find this too hard to do because I don't feel I have the same control.

For your bottom lashes: Try and use the tip of a mascara wand that isn't too thick. All you need to do is touch your bottom lashes with the tip slightly. Drag it gently and if you like, smudge in between your lashes with a smudge brush (the minute you finish applying your mascara or it will dry and this won't work) for a soft effect. If you want to coat the entire bottom lashes and make sure you don't press too hard whilst you're combing them through. Go lightly or it'll smudge everywhere.